“To keep a lamp burning you have to keep on putting oil in it” is a favorite quote of mine by Mother Teresa. It is powerful and a simple quote and serves as a reminder of the need to re-energize ourselves. In today’s world most of us run around with our tanks on fumes for long periods of time and that’s not healthy! We get stuck in the perspective of “the way it is” and tell ourselves to keep going. When this happens life and events start to run us and our spirit is dimmed.
Recently, I was reminded of how important “me time” is to my physical, mental and spiritual well-being. Why I was laughing, sleeping and eating on a girls week-end, life continued on without me… the house was still intact, my kids did not starve, my work projects were still waiting for me and the dogs survived without my pampering. Most importantly, I returned recharged and with a new perspective on life and work.
It would be nice if we had a warning light like our cell phones that tell us “low battery” to remind us it’s time to re-charge. The endless to-do’s and should do’s drain our tanks and we tell ourselves “it will slow down after x”.
I invite you to stop making excuses (pretty harsh hey?) and take some time for you NOW. Summer will be here before you know it and schedules will change so now is a great time to take a break. You might be thinking well I cannot just pick up and go on a trip. The good news is you do not need to—a shift in your perspective will begin the re-fueling and refresh process.
One way to change perspective is to step back or get above the details. I am talking about taking a moment to relax, gain clarity and re-fuel to keep you going and burning bright. Whatever your pleasure; a day at the beach, a good book, a hike or a night away because we all need time to recharge ourselves.
Here are some steps to get you started:
- Clear the mental clutter– Grab some paper and a pen and de-clutter your mind. Write down everything you’re thinking about big or small. Just write, you can organize later.
- Give yourself permission—Release any guilt about making time for yourself and fill your mind with relaxing and rejuvenating things.
- Plan and Schedule the time- Put the day away! Mark the calendar!
- Tell someone- You increase your chance of doing something if you tell someone
- Be present in whatever you decide to do!
We are most powerful and bright when operating on a full tank. Shine On!